Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Record collectors are pretentious assholes

i thought that would be a nice title to create some jokes, sarcastic as it is and hopefully it will be able to spark some traffic. LOL.
Heres the start of my soon to be lists of reviews and pictures of music that I appreciates and loves. Ill probably start with few old bands that I still loves and enjoy. I guess I would probably start with the facts that I came into the scene in the early 90s as a 19 year old kid who probably could not fit into the mold created by the society. I guess most of us came into the scene with the same reason. I was already poison free at the time and as I said earlier on, hearing bands like Minor Threat and Youth of Todays reaffirms my point of view and ideas at that particular time.














If you asked me few bands that still makes an impact to me is Gorilla Biscuits. Cannot deny their importancy in term of lyrics and ideas. Their music is melodic old school that still lives inside me. Mine is both on black and I wish I had it on color but its too rare and I dont ever think people wanna trade that for money. To me, this is a must have for vinyl collector.







Next is Project X. Another important SXE bands that came from NYHC scene. This is a repress from Bridge   9, I have never been really interested into them but when B9 repressed it, I said what the heck and put it in the order together with few other stuff. I'd say B9 has been doing quite a tremendous job, sleeve is slick and clean, mine is on clear, dont know if they have any other color though. On the music side, this is really old school, but one important song that they have it here is "Straight Edge Revenge". Cool enough for me to buy eh? Ahh I forgot to add that mine is on clear with slight purple-ish effect (fail to get those effect on my pics though).









Underdog is another band from NYHC. I remember during this time, someone dubs their demo together with few other bands. Their sound is raw yet melodic at times, but I guess you have to consider that all dubbed tapes at that times was done on basic hi-fi on cheap sony tapes and it was all dubbed fast forward. It was a messy stuff but that hows music got traded those days. There was no napster, no torrent and no internet but that is how you appreciate music and most importantly ideas, more.
So back to the records, I picked this up from B9. One is the Matchless LP which is on white and the 7" consists of their demo on red. Haven't really had the time to really listen through all over but this is again, another awesome stuff from peeps at B9.





Another important band from that era. This is one of the few bands that I have been seeing them live. Matt, Porcell, Tim and others came to Malaysia somewhere last year for Bold and Bring It Down South East Asia Tour. It was cool hangin out with Porcell and the others, Matt was quite quiet by himself. Back to the record, I got these from the legendary uncle of Roxy in Singapore. Back in late 80s and early 90s, there was not much place where you can purchase HC records be it CDs or vinyls, Roxy is one of the few places that have it. I bought quite a number of local demos and records as well. So mine is on black, i guess this was a repressed from the original. It states as 1989. I am not sure on that facts though, hope to get some opinion from others.











How do I say this? If there is any two bands that I really loves in term of urgency, ideas, message and lyrics, it would only be Youth of Today and Judge. I still listens to Judge regularly. On the record, the above is a picture of the original 7" of New York Crew and the 2nd one is the discography. I got it late for the discography hence it was not on color. I wish I had on color, the color was rad, I guess it was splatter red and orange or yellow. Again the 7" was purchased at Roxy and it states as 1989 (hope I guess this right). This is one of the many important records that came out from Revelation.
To those who listens to metal, Judge is one of the few bands that mix old school and slight metal but still sounds good. Nothing much to say, just remember those words, what it meant, what it meant to you...










Another classic, but this one is from New Jersey home of few important old school and SXE HC bands. The first 7" was purchased at Roxy by a friend of mine. Somewhere last year, I came to meet him and he asked if I wanna buy a bunch of 7" that he had. Being a vinyl sucker, there is no way for me to say no and I agreed to look all of it on which I ended up buying all of them. The debut 7" from Mouthpiece is one of them and I am glad I made the decision to view it.
The LP was released by Revelation somewhere last where and being a sucker, I waited until the last minutes before I ordered one. Much to my foolishness, they only left with black on which I ended up having it. No complaint though, so lesson learn is, you need to pre-order to own you favourite color. All in all, this is a very good compilation which consists all of Mouthpiece song plus poster as well. Love this one. Mouthpiece- Cinder

1 comment:

Joker Von Claus Staunffenberg said...

nice collection bro .
;)