Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Have Heart

Again as expected, maintaining and writing a blog has never been an easy task. Coupled with other stuff that I am into or work that I am into, I am pretty sure that I would not have the luxury to do an update of every few hours or a day or in my case even once a month. I am not saying that it is hard to feed the beast and the more that I am doing this, the more that it reminds me of Sufferage, my old zine that I co-write with two other editors.
I guess it has never been easy but just like drugs or alcohol, its almost an addicition. Anyway, I am just using it as a preference coz I have neither touch any of of those. Call me straight edge or whatever, I prefer to call that lame act as me, being myself and being a believer of my own ideals. I do not need a label to conform my ideals and acts, nor do I need anything to affirm my belief.
Hardcore as we know it or I know it has changed drastically over a couple of years. I will be 40 in few years time and I have never felt bored listening to what normal people would call weird. I guess I am more into music that I am before, not sure if it is a good thing but I rather spend my pennies on those stuff rather than other stuff that I would never ever relate myself into.
As much as I would like to distance myself from straight edge and these ideals, those would probably be the only place I called home. Bands like Outspoken, Unbroken, Youth of Today, Mouthpiece, Gorilla Biscuits, Four Walls Falling, Turning Point, Upfront, Cornerstone made me believe how positive was(is) straight edge. And those ideals would be continued by Fastbreak, Ten Yard Fight, In My Eyes, Floorpunch, and others.
Though I do not consider myself actively involves in the scene, i try to make up for few gigs and others and I do continue supporting it by purchasing records from new bands. It is inspiring seeing new faces embracing the new music or culture just like I do few (means 20) years back.
I tried to continue on the 7" post which I have promised earlier on but I need more time to edit some of those pictures. Those are seriously some important stuff in my life and I would like to keep it interesting as it is. Moving from there, I managed to compile some of pictures on my Have Heart collection. One of the important bands from Boston and they loves Outspoken too. I guess theres too much stuff that I like about them rather than against them. The lyrics, their stage presence and music had so much impact on me. Met them through their last show in Kuala Lumpur last year (I guess), it was just pure good music. To Have Heart, thanks for the passion, good music, ideals and the energy of bringing straight edge to the forefront. Long live Boston Hardcore


Some of my Have Heart records, the orange was from the Live 10.07.09 LP as well as the marble blue one. The white and orange was from the "Songs to Scream at the Sun" album. The clear and transparent orange or gold as they called it was from "The Things We Carry" album. The four 7" inches was from the 2003 demo which comprises purple, orange, white and blue vinyls. I guess I am still missing out a few copies on other presses but hey they all sounded the same right? haaha. Plus I am not ready to break my piggy bank on rare colorway but it is always so tempting to do so.








I have attached the demo cover and the lyrics sheet. It was from Bottled Up records. Pretty awesome and though it is a demo, you can feel their maturity, intensity and sincerity of their music. Pretty worth to burn your pocket money for these 7 inches if you ask me :p






The Things We Carry is their first LP after a couple of EP and demo. Frankly, I am more in love with their 2nd LP though after few listening, these LP grows in me. Pretty good record though I prefer their 2nd LP better. Still worth to have a copy in your collection. Contact those good folks at Bridge 9, awesome label they have there. Some crazy bands too












Truly a definitive classic in my eyes, from the start of the record to the 2nd part of the record, it is all about intensity, sincerity, honesty and being true to their ideals though lyrics is not about typical straight edge lyrics but was twisted yet being true to the ideals. Nothing preachy or pushy, just simple and intelligent lyrics being wrote here. Cant praise them anymore, this is one of the must haves in 2010 (or 2009?).
The later version of this records comes with a simple jacket rather than the gatefold cover of the earlier presses. I prefer the gatefold cover though I can understand the cost of doing it. Kudos to Bridge 9 for releasing important records in 2010.









n

Unfortunately, Have Heart decided to end their musical journey much faster than the time that I have to check them out. They did a final show with Boston and have it recorded live and released it on LP, CD and a DVD. This is raw, gathers all the emotions and intensity, yet moves me more as this is direct with a whole of screams and choruses at the back. The quality was OK but you cannot beat the live moments. Being a sucker for Have Heart, I ordered two of those colorway though being a vinyl junkie always meant that you need to have them all. But again, life has never been about perfection. I would love to have everything that Have Heart ever released, soon, very soon.

Again, so sorry for the delay and others, I do hope I will be able to post more soon. The only thing missing is the edited pics of those seven inches. Hope to post soon and take care peeps. For Malaysian peeps, see you at the Youth of Today show, can't wait to "Break Down The Walls".

2 comments:

Joker Von Claus Staunffenberg said...

perghhhh sudahhhh completeee :)

Piesay said...

mana complete bro, baru nak completekan :p